Top NZ Cricket Team Players Of Today
Our team explored some of the best New Zealand national cricket team players, their achievements, and their evolution. In this article, you’ll find the most fascinating facts about them.
The New Zealand national cricket team is one of the most popular worldwide, and its success is mainly attributed to the NZ cricket players.
Let’s dive in!
New Zealand national cricket team roster
|Name||Position||Runs Scored (TEST)/ Balls Bowled||Batting Average (Test) /Bowling Average|
|Kane Williamson||Top-order batsman||7272||53.47|
How we gather data
While we are online casino experts, we take our research seriously by:
- Collecting and comparing data from multiple trustworthy online sources
- Navigating several digital sports databases to find the most accurate information about New Zealand cricket players
- Summarised the most relevant findings
The NZ cricket team has seen a lot of success lately, and that wouldn’t have been possible without a well-rounded selection of star players.
It is certainly challenging to choose the New Zealand national cricket team players who made the most significant difference on the field. Yet, it is fair to say that all of them contributed to the team’s success.
Other NZ cricket players currently in the national squad rotation
- Mark Chapman
- Finn Allen
- Tim Seifert
- Doug Bracewell
- Kyle Jamieson
- Daryl Mitchell
- Glen Philip
- Hamish Bennet
- Trent Boult
- Jacob Duffy
- Locke Ferguson
- Adam Milne
- Ben Sears
- Tim Southee
- Neil Wagner, and many others
The New Zealand national cricket team
The Black Caps, or the New Zealand national cricket team, are currently among the top cricket teams globally. The Kiwis are:
- 2nd place in the Test ICC rankings
- 1st ranked in ODI
- 4th position in the T20I
These outstanding rankings are even more compelling when you consider this national team only won its first ICC World Test Championship recently.
Here are a few significant facts that marked its history:
- New Zealand’s national team boasts the best scores in the Twenty20 Internationals, with a 78-70 record
- A New Zealand team has been present at most One Day International matches, holding a 354-374 record
- New Zealand played its first test against England way back in 1930 in the island nation’s southern city of Christchurch
- In 455 games, the Black Caps have a 109-178 record with 168 draws
Knowing more about the players’ careers can help you get your picks right when betting on online platforms. We analyse and compare numerous such websites to provide an objective overview and ease your mission of finding the right casino. All you have to do is navigate our NZ casino reviews and decide what option suits you best!
After choosing a betting platform, you can also claim a bonus to help you get accustomed to the site. Navigate our online casino bonuses and take your time to analyse their terms and conditions! Alternatively, you may also want to take a look into arb betting options, as several expert bettors vouch for this method of gambling for it’s ability to fain players an advantage when placing bets.
New Zealand national cricket team players
This right batsman and captain of Black Caps made his international debut in 2010. The rest is history:
- After being captain of youth national squads, Williamson graduated to the title with his first team
- After the 2019 Cricket World Cup game that won New Zealand its only world title, he took home the Player of the Tournament award
One of the top five Test batsmen
In 2020, Williamson achieved a Test batting rating of 890, placing him at the top of the world’s Test batsmen.
Even today, he’s regarded as one of the top five Test batsmen in the sport, standing alongside giants like:
- Joe Root
- Steve Smith
- Virat Kohli
He also led the team to the ICC T20 World Cup final match and the first ICC World Test Championship. Williamson holds an incredible 53.47 batting average, and he scored 7272 runs in 86 Test matches.
As an occasional bowler, this top player has a respectable 40.23 bowling average.
As the team’s vice-captain, Tom Latham plays all positions in the game, including batsman and a wicketkeeper.
He had a notable performance in 2018 against Sri Lanka.
His highest score while carrying the bat was 264 not out.
Other notable facts include:
- In the semi-final of the 2019 Cricket World Cup, Latham received his 150th international cap while playing with the Black Caps
- In 2020, Latham was the New Zealand captain in a Test match against Australia
- Across his 65 Test appearances, he has 4502 runs and a 41.68 batting average.
Tim Southee, a veteran of the New Zealand national cricket team, is a right-arm bowler with fast to medium range, with many notable achievements like:
- Southee was the third-best wicket-taker at the 2011 ICC World Cup
- In the 2015 World Cup competition, he took seven wickets in a round-robin match against England
Before starting his professional cricket career, he also excelled at rugby. He played for the Auckland Secondary School and Northern Region teams. If he hadn’t switched his sports interest, maybe he would have made our list of the rugby players NZ instead of this one.
Southee currently plays for the Kolkata Knight Riders and has held a few team captaincies for the NZ national team.
Still, he played only one match in the New Zealand World Cup run in 2019, as he was forced to step out because of a hip injury.
Martin Guptill, a player for Auckland, holds several memorable cricket records:
- He’s the first NZ player to score a double century in a One Day International
- He has a record for the highest individual score in the Cricket World Cup—237
- He holds a score of 600 T20I runs in Eden Park, being the only player with so many runs in a single venue
Guptill was an integral part of New Zealand’s most recent World Cup successes. In his 47 Test appearances, he has 2568 runs with a 29.38 batting average.
With 55 runs, Christchurch native Henry Nicholls is one of the top scorers for the NZ cricket team:
- He’s a right-arm batsman
- He has 2544 runs scored in 46 Test caps
He has been playing for the New Zealand national cricket team since 2015
During his debut at Hagley Oval in his hometown of Christchurch, Nicholls scored 23 not out off 21 balls in-game. New Zealand won by seven wickets against Sri Lanka.
He had a notable performance against Pakistan in 2016 with 82 runs. In the same year, he made his Test debut against Australia.
|Role||Top order Batsman|
|Bowling||Right-arm off break|
Former Under-19 team captain Will Young debuted for the NZ cricket team in 2020.
Overcoming injuries like a pro
Will is a top-order batsman who had to skip a World Cup appearance due to a shoulder injury. The following year, however, he started playing for the national team.
Young plays for Central Districts. In his international career, he’s played in 9 Test matches, scoring 439 runs with a 31.35 batting average.
If you have a favourite and want to bet on a certain game, you need to keep up with the odds. Top online casinos in NZ that focus on sports have a table with all the player’s odds. Use all the filters available to find the right information for you. This way, you can have the proper details before placing a bet.
One of the all-around New Zealand national cricket team players, James Neesham, plays all game formats:
- He’s flitted between numerous clubs in his career and currently plays for the Wellington cricket team
- Neesham debuted for the national team in 2012 and had a significant impact in the World Cup semi-finals in 2019
- He was among the players selected for the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup
- He took the final wicket and had a stellar catch that eliminated Dinesh Karthik
James Neesham considered retiring from the New Zealand national cricket team roster at one point but had a change of heart after a word with the team president.
|Bowling||Right-arm off break|
This NZ cricket team wicketkeeper and batsman entered the national squad in 2018 but waited for a shot at the Test team until late 2020.
There, he played as a wicketkeeper against the West Indies, taking the place of an injured BJ Watling.
In his 17 Test appearances, Blundell has 808 runs and reliable play as a wicketkeeper.
South African player Devon Conway has been part of the New Zealand national cricket team since 2020:
- He secured a central contract, which proved to be a smart move when he scored a double century in his first Test match
- He was the second batsman in New Zealand history to achieve that honour, earning the ICC Player of the Month award for the achievement
- In his short 7-games Test stint, Conway has had 767 runs and boasts a 63.91 batting average
Matt Henry is a reliable right-arm bowler with a fast-medium throw who debuted for the national squad in 2014.
Henry has 16 Test matches on the New Zealand national cricket team roster. He has 51 wickets and 3691 balls bowled with a bowling average of 38.00.
Best known for:
His most notable appearance was in the 2019 semi-final match against India, where he was named Player of the Match. New Zealand won by 18 runs, and Henry took three wickets for 37.
NZ cricket players: The team to win in 2022?
New Zealand has been on an incredible run over the past few years, led by their superstar captain Kane Williamson. But can the team win another World Cup?
It will be exciting to see if the NZ cricket team can repeat their success in the Test World Cup. Will they sustain top rankings in all game formats? We can only wait and see. But the future looks bright for this seemingly unbeatable team.
What’s your take on it?
Do you think the NZ cricket team can sustain top rankings in all game formats? Use our comments section to voice your ideas and let’s start a conversation!