What is the wagering requirement & how to beat it
The wagering requirement is an essential aspect of every casino bonus in New Zealand. That’s why our experts want you to know everything about it, how it works, and how you can navigate it and make the most out of your promotions!
What is casino wagering
Wagering is a term that represents the sum of your bets made in casino games with bonus money. It is a multiplier, and it can apply to the amount of bonus money credited to you or the bonus value, the deposit you have made to get that promotion, the winnings resulted from it, or any combination of these three values.
Usually, deposit promotions come with lower wagering requirements, while deals such as no deposit bonuses NZ often have higher ones.
It is mandatory for you to meet this requirement
This is necessary in order to be able to cash out the money you have won using a promotion.
However, you don’t have to follow any rollover rules when accessing a no wagering deposit bonus. These are usually smaller than other deals, but they are highly lucrative, thanks to the fact that you can use or withdraw the winnings as soon as you finish using the promotion.
Why do bonuses come with wagering requirements?
- To avoid bonus abusers – some casino players have no intention of sticking with a platform, and they are on the hunt for promotions they can benefit from. The fact that they have a low retention rate, gambling sites prefer to include them in a different marketing plan and choose to invest in their loyal customers instead.
- To avoid money laundering – if there were no such rules in place, players would be able to clean illegal funds by making a deposit and then cashing out right away. Therefore, this measure is imposed in order to avoid money laundering, and it complies with regulations regarding this aspect.
A casino is a business and its goal is to make a profit
This is another fundamental reason why bonuses come with wagering attached.
At the same time, it wishes to offer incentives to potential players in order to attract them. Therefore, they give out bonuses that increase the funds the gamer has to play, giving them the chance to experience more games and discover the platform. However, a high rollover requirement prevents them from cashing out too much money. Still, there are exceptions to this.
Bonus terms that affect wagering
Your experience with the playthrough of a promotion may differ from one deal to another because other terms also influence this aspect. Here’s what you need to pay attention to:
- The maximum bet with bonus money – promotions often come with a low maximum bet, which makes meeting the rollover requirement a lot slower. If you could place bigger bets, you would complete it in no time, but with this limitation, it might take a lot longer, especially if the amount you need to wager is high.
- Game weighting – games have different contributions to playthrough, and some are even entirely excluded from it. This means that playing one of these games will not contribute towards meeting the requirement while playing one with a low contribution will delay the rollover completion.
- Promotion availability – all casino bonuses come with a certain availability from the moment you have claimed them. In general, free spins have a shorter timeframe than bonus money. Within this time, you have to meet the playthrough requirement to be able to cash out. If this time passes and you did not manage to meet the requirement, you lose all your winnings so far.
How to calculate the wagering requirements
It is very easy to calculate the wagering requirements you have to meet, and some of the best online New Zealand casinos even present you with the final amount you have to wager. Nevertheless, it is helpful for you to know how to calculate them so you can compare bonuses and decide which one is best for you.
Free spins on sign up New Zealand offers usually come with this requirement applied to the winnings resulted from them, while deposit bonuses often require you to wager the deposit and bonus amount a certain number of times. There may always be exceptions to this rule, but this is a situation we have seen often as our experts have analyzed thousands of online pokies free spins NZ promotions.
Mathematical formulas to know how much you need to playthrough:
- Bonus wagering – [Bonus Amount] x [Wagering] = Amount you need to playthrough
- Bonus + Deposit – [Bonus Amount + Deposit Amount] x [Wagering] = Amount to playthrough
- Winnings – [Winnings resulted from bonus] x [Wagering] = Amount to wager
- Deposit + Winnings – [Deposit Amount + Winnings] x [Wagering] = Amount to wager
Now that you know the formulas let’s apply them and see how these look with actual bonus values.
Table with examples for each formula
|#||Bonus||Deposit||Bonus Credited||Winnings||Wagering||Amount to wager|
|#1||100% up to 100 NZD||50 NZD||50 NZD||–||30x B||1500 NZD|
|#2||200% up to 500 NZD||100 NZD||200 NZD||–||50x D+B||15000 NZD|
|#3||30 Free Spins No Deposit||0||30 FS ND||40 NZD||100x W||4000 NZD|
|#4||100 Free Spins on deposit||60 NZD||100 FS||120 NZD||70x D+W||12600 NZD|
As you can see in this table, even low wagering requirements can lead to a high amount of money you have to play through.
For the New Zealand casino market, a 30x playthrough requirement, as seen in example number 2, is considered low. This is because there are promotions that come with rollover multipliers such as 80x, 90x and even 100x.
Each casino has the right to set any wagering requirement, and the combination may sometimes be different from those shown above. Some even require a Bonus + Deposit + Winnings wagering.
Game contributions to the wagering requirement
Not all games contribute the same to meeting rollover requirements.
How did the requirement appear?
In the past, wagers contributed the same, regardless of the game type. This has led players to notice that playing games with a low house edge such as Roulette (2.7%) or Blackjack (0.5%) helped them meet the playthrough without losing much money.
In addition, Roulette allowed them to place equal bets on both red and black, and most of the time, this resulted in coming out even more money. This means that gamers did not lose a single coin but still contributed to meeting the requirement.
Casinos caught on to these tactics
This is why operators introduced further conditions, and they lowered the contribution of some table games while also completely excluding certain games.
The game weighting may differ from one casino to another
In general lines, this is what you may expect to find:
Make sure you always check the Terms and Conditions and see which game types and titles are excluded from contributing to playthrough!
Ways to avoid wagering requirements
The best way to avoid playthrough requirements is to go for no wagering bonuses. These allow you to keep what you win, as they come with no strings attached, and you can simply enjoy the promotion and then cash out or use the winnings on different games.
- The number of such promotions is much lower, so there are not too many options for you to choose from.
- These deals generally provide you with less money or fewer free spins, but they are helpful and fun to use.
While this is the only way to avoid this rule completely, you can always opt for low-wagering casino bonuses.
For the New Zealand gambling market, rollover requirements of 30X – 40X and under are considered to be low.
Our experts have compiled a list of promotions for all tastes and needs. Compare them, find the right one for you, and enjoy the fun it provides!
How you can beat the wagering requirements
- Pick a promotion with a low wagering requirement, preferably under 40X.
- From the low-wagering deals, pick the one that allows the highest maximum bet, as this aspect strongly influences your further experience with playthrough.
- Make sure the casino you have chosen has favourable terms and a reliable customer support team in case you have questions or run into an issue with your bonus.
- Check out the game contributions list and see which games contribute 100%. Most times, these will be slot machines.
- Make sure you know which games are entirely excluded and do not play them at all.
- From the games that contribute 100%, pick the ones with low RTP (Return to Player) to start with. These have a high variance, which means they pay out more significant amounts but less often than other games.
- Once you have increased your bankroll with the low-RTP, high-variance games, it is time to switch it up. Go for titles with high RTP, preferably over 98%, and low variance. These pay out smaller amounts, but more often. Therefore, these are safer to play and will not empty your bankroll in a few spins.
While these tips come from our gambling experts, who are also experienced players, it is crucial that you keep in mind that gambling relies very much on luck. This means that even if these tips may help you, it strongly depends on luck if you hit those much-needed wins or not.
Pick low-wagering deals whenever possible and always read both the Bonus Terms and Terms and Conditions. Use our tips to beat the playthrough and cash out your money faster!
The wagering requirement is maybe the most important condition a casino promotion comes with. While there are also other terms that affect it, this ultimately shapes your experience with the bonus and the casino.
Some offers have high requirements, while others have low ones or even none at all. This means that there are options for you and any other player, regardless of your preferences.